Een benen snijwerk met de voorstelling van twee naakte engelen. Vervaardigd in de werkplaats van Embriachi (Baldassare Embriaco), Venetië, en oorspronkelijk deel uitmakend van de versiering van een bruidskistje. Datering eerste helft 15 eeuw. Afmeting 3,4 x 18,9 cm, gemonteerd op fluweel in lijstje (11 x 23,7 cm). Prijs € 800.-
Herkomst: Collectie Jhr. R.C. Schuurbeque Boeye (1902-1999).
A carved bone fragment of a bride's casket, representing two nude guardian angels holding a globe. From the Embriachi workshop, Venice, 15th century.
The Embriachi workshop was a North-Italian family of entrepreneurs and carvers. The precise location of the workshop is unknown, except that it was active in Florence around the 1370s. Baldassare Embriaco, a member of a Florentine noble family, during his career acted as both merchant and diplomat. He can therefore be considered more the financial person behind the bone-carving workshop that bears his name, than its leading artist. By 1395, political and financial circumstances had forced him to transfer to Venice. The suggested time range of activity for the workshop differs, from the tightest being 1390-1405, to a wider span of 1370's until at least 1416, but certainly no later than 1433. They employed local workers specialising in 'certosina' (inlay of stained woods, bone and horn), and the workshop produced items carved in bone (usually horse or ox) with wood and bone marquetry. As well as altarpieces, the workshop made marriage caskets as bridal gifts to hold jewels or documents, and these were often decorated with scenes from mythology and courting symbols..